A couple weeks ago I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I hadn’t made my usual meal plan and my family wasn’t being helpful. They wanted I don’t know and well, I don’t have the recipe for that. Staring into my fridge I came up with an idea. I have an overabundance of green chiles from my garden that needed used up so I through them in my broiler real quick to have some roasted green chile for dinner. I then threw together a new family favorite, green chile and cheese chicken breast.
The recipe couldn’t be simpler. It has 4 ingredients, chicken breast, mexican seasoning, green chile and cheese. You can fresh roasted green chile if you have it on hand or canned whole green chile. My pepper plants have been quite prolific so I used fresh. Since I have an electric glass top stove I used my broiler to roast my green chile. I placed my chile on a piece of foil under the broiler for a couple minutes and then flipped and broiled for a couple more minutes. Broil time varies based on the size of your green chile. When the chiles were done broiling I immediately put the chiles in a plastic zip top bag for 15-20 minutes. Then I peeled the skin off and seeded my chiles to get them ready to use for my chicken. This method is not quite the same as the roasted green chile I would get in El Paso but it works well.
Now that my green chile was ready all I had left to do was prepare my chicken.
It was easy-peasy! Take your chicken breast and place in a greased cooking dish. I used dish lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray for easy clean up.
You take your chicken breast and season with your Mexican seasoning. I used between 1/4t-1/2t per chicken breast. Bigger breast used a little more than smaller breasts
Next cover your chicken breast with green chile.
Finally top with cheese! After all cheese makes everything better! We love to use PepperJack cheese in this recipe.
All you have to do then is bake uncovered at 400 for 30 minutes and voila you have super yummy chicken to serve with your family that pairs well with all sorts of yummy things from corn on the cob and other fruits and veggies.
What is your favorite way to use Green Chile?
- 2lbs chicken breast (this is approximately 3 chicken breast)
- 3-6 roasted green chiles (enough to cover each chicken breast)
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Seasoning ( approximately ¼-1/2 teaspoon per chicken breast)
- sliced monterey jack, pepperjack, cheddar, or colby jack cheese (one slice per chicken breast)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place chicken breast in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chicken breast with Mexican Seasoning, approximately ¼-1/2 teaspoon per chicken breast.
- Top each chicken breast with green chile and then sliced cheese.
- Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or until juices run clear.