One of my favorite things to use in my kitchen is my crockpot, yes my crockpot. Crockpots are perfect for almost every situation. You need to keep food warm, use your crockpot. Kids have practice after school and you want to make sure you can have dinner on the table and avoid the fast food rut, use your crockpot. It is hot outside and you don’t want to heat up your kitchen, use your crockpot. I can’t even begin to tell you how many meals my crockpot has cooked. There was a time when my kids were in track and cross country that I used it every single night. Needless to say, I am always looking for new recipes to use in my crockpot.
The newest addition to my collection of recipes for the crockpot is Sesame Chicken. We love Chinese food around here and I make it myself since our last experience with a Chinese buffet ended up with my husband and myself having food poisoning… on Christmas. Not to mention you really aren’t going to find gluten free Chinese dishes. Did you know Soy Sauce is not gluten free? I am thankful for gluten free soy sauce, Tamari is my friend! We eat some sort of Chinese food probably once a week so it is a must have.
Back to the Sesame Chicken though. I have always been a fan of sesame chicken when we use to go out for Chinese. I haven’t had it since I became gluten free so when I found the recipe I was intrigued. I made it for my family one night when I had a dinnertime board meeting for Team RWB and I came home to nothing. They devoured it and didn’t same me anything at all. How rude! On the bright side though that is how I knew the recipe was a winner. That and my kiddos constantly asking me if I can make it again. Needless to say it has been added in to our regular rotation.
If you are looking for a fake out take out winner try this sesame chicken! Plus it gets extra points for being made in the crock pot so I can put it together and forget about it and do what I need to do. Talk about Win-Win! When will you be trying it out?
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion (fresh onion can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- sesame seeds, or to taste
- Spread chicken into the crock of a slow cooker.
- Stir honey, soy sauce, ketchup, minced onion, vegetable oil, and garlic powder together in a bowl; pour over the chicken.
- Cook on Low until the chicken is tender, 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the sauce in the slow cooker to a cutting board. Stir water and cornstarch together to dissolve cornstarch completely; pour into the sauce in the slow cooker until smooth.
- Cook on High until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and stir into the sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the chicken and sauce mixture.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com