Hello summer and all the beautiful things that you bring! Warm weather, longer days and all the beautiful in season produce. This year my garden is doing much better than last. Everything is growing and looks beautiful. Things are flowering, I have attracted bees and they are pollinating and I have the start of many beautiful looking veggies. I have green tomatoes, cucumbers and the starts of different peppers. I really can’t wait until everything is growing in full force.
My daughter can’t wait either, she has her own corner of the garden where she planted cantaloupe and watermelon. She checks her melon patch daily looking for baby melons but so far she has nothing more than blossoms and bees.
We still have a wait for those melons but thankfully some stores have started selling some early season watermelons. So I bought her one. We love watermelon around here and it is a summer must have. We love to eat it plain, adding it to a beautiful fruit salad, turning it into popsicles or sorbet. I recently discovered a new and grown up way to have watermelon that I love, Watermelon Margaritas!
I really don’t drink much but I can say I am a margarita girl. I’ve had more than my fair share of traditional margaritas and strawberry margaritas in my life and i’m down for trying other variations. So, when I saw Jewel from Just a Smidge A Rainbow Jewels Blog recipe on Allrecipes I knew I needed to try it. So I whipped up some simple syrup and pulled out my blender and it was Margarita time!
Her watermelon margarita is the perfect summer time clinky drinky! You can make a virgin margarita for the kiddos or those who do not drink by subbing Sprite or 7Up for the tequila too. Making up a pitcher of these and just hanging out with friends is a perfect way to spend a summer day!
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3 strips orange zest
- 2 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- ¾ cup white tequila
- ¼ cup lime juice
- salt or sugar for rimming glasses (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 cups crushed ice, or as needed
- Bring ½ cup sugar, water, and orange zest in a small saucepan to boil, stirring constantly. Simmer until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove simple syrup from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Place watermelon in a blender or food processor. Pulse until pureed.
- Stir watermelon puree into a large pitcher with simple syrup, tequila, and lime juice.
- Place a small amount of salt or sugar into a saucer. Rub edge of margarita glasses with a lime wedge to moisten. Lightly dip the rim of the glass into the saucer to rim the glass; tap off excess salt or sugar. (if desired, I never rim my glasses)
- Fill rimmed glasses with crushed ice; pour margarita mixture into glasses and garnish with lime wedges to serve.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com