I’m going to admit something that my family hates. I don’t buy junk food for snacking. It just disappears too quick around here. Luckily, I have very healthy eaters, like my daughter loves to snack on fruit. This said the fact that I don’t have things at home doesn’t stop the families biggest snacker to ask me to please make him something to eat, usually something sweet.
To the rescue I have been experimenting with different mug recipes. My oldest son’s speciality is scrambled eggs in a mug. Then I have made many different great mug recipes from cookies, to pudding to cake. Chocolate mug cake probably gets made almost as much as my son’s scrambled eggs. Usually in the evening after my husband has asked me to make him something sweet.
This mug cake is super easy to make and it makes 2 mug cakes. You can whip it up in less than 10 minutes. Since I am gluten free I came up with a gluten free version that turns out beautifully. I know, your thinking what! Cake in a microwave? There is no way that could be good but it is. It turns out perfectly moist and cake like. It is so good that it doesn’t need frosting too! I’m sure it would be even better with it but i’ve never felt the need. I typically serve it as is or with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
So what do you think? Will you be joining the mug cake bandwagon? Try this gluten free chocolate mug cake and have your mind blown. After all it is cake in the microwave. Who doesn’t like cake?
- 4 tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- pinch of salt (a grind or 2 of sea salt works beautifully)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Prepare 2 microwave safe coffee mugs with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix gluten free flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Next stir in wet ingredients: egg, oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between 2 prepared coffee cups. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Place cups into microwave oven, one at a time. Microwave each cup on medium for 1 minute. Then for a second minute on medium. Splitting the cook time helps prevent the cake from overflowing. If cakes are not done after 2 minutes cook for 30 second increments until the cake is done.
- Cool cake for about 2-3 minutes before serving.
- * When serving sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired. *