During the holidays there is always something going on where you need a special sweet treat and having a super easy shortbread recipe around can help in a pinch. Shortbread needs minimal ingredients. Just flour, sugar, butter and a bit of vanilla. All items I have on hand all the time. This year I decided I needed some shortbread cookies in my life so I converted a recipe and made a gluten free version. The recipe only needed one new ingredient, xanthan gum and I swapped the all purpose flour for gluten free all purpose flour. These are simple alterations that will make the gluten free person in your life happy.
When making shortbread I like to make logs of shortbread cookie dough that I then wrap in wax paper and store in a ziplock bag. This allows me to be able to slice and bake cookies whenever I need them. Then I like to drizzle my shortbread with melted chocolate and sprinkle with a few nonpareils or other seasonal sprinkles. It makes for a simple yet beautiful cookie that everyone loves.
Check out my 12 Days of Homemade Christmas for other great ideas!
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla; add flour and mix well.
- Put through cookie press and form cookies onto baking sheets. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Alternative Method:
- Roll the dough into four logs, wrapped the logs in waxed paper, placed in the fridge to harden, and then sliced in about ½" slices when ready to bake.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com