Hey you, don’t put the pumpkin away just yet! Yeah, I know Thanksgiving is here and the end of all things pumpkin season is upon us but I have one more really great recipe for you! The chocolate mint and Christmas cookies and candies can wait just a few more days. My Pumpkin Chip Muffins with Flax Seed are calling your name, saying bake me, bake me! Seriously they are.
My recipe is the product of me trying to find the perfect pumpkin muffin. I just couldn’t find a recipe that had everything I was looking for. So I took the best of several recipes and made my own recipe. As an added plus they are gluten free and they have flax seed which adds it’s own health benefits. They are full of fiber, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, may even help prevent some types of cancer and more! I sneak flax seed into many things I make for my family. Shh…don’t tell my kids. In addition to flax the muffins get a healthy boost from pumpkin which is full of vitamin A and other vitamins, along with carotenoids and potassium. Lastly I swap out the oil for applesauce to reduce some of the fat in the recipe. I do add chocolate chips (white or regular chocolate) because well it’s chocolate, who doesn’t like chocolate?
These muffins are the perfect thing for breakfast, to put in my kid’s lunches, after school snack or just whenever they are hungry and want a snack. My kiddos are always hungry so these muffins are whipped up often. Many times my kids are the ones helping whip them up because they are that easy to make. So what are you waiting for? Head to the kitchen and whip these muffins up! You will be happy you did!
- 4 Eggs
- 1½ Cups Pumpkin Puree
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Applesauce or your favorite cooking oil
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 3 cups Flour
- ½ cup Ground Flax Seed
- 1½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1½ Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 (heaping) teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips (white, semi-sweet, milk chocolate or dark chips)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease and flour muffin pan or use paper liners.
- Mix sugar, apple sauce, eggs. Add pumpkin and vanilla extract. In separate bowl mix together the Gluten Free flour, flax seen meal, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, spices and salt. Add wet mixture and stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups ⅔ full with batter. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.