This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EffortlessMeals #CollectiveBias
Being a mom of kids involved in sports can mean life can be crazy at times. When school starts that schedule gets even crazier. Life becomes a balance of school, sports and family. It seems that dinnertime often becomes a victim of the crazy schedule. Years ago I committed to not allowing my family to fall victims to the fast food rut that sometimes happens when life get’s crazy. My kids need to be able to fuel their bodies with good food so they can be the best that they can be. Fueling up on junk isn’t going to help them set personal records. I’m far from Wonder Woman and sometimes I need a little help with dinner.
When I pick up my oldest from practice one of the first things he asks me is if we need to go to Walmart. It is right on the way home which makes it an easy stop to pick up milk, bread and/or things we need for dinner. Sometimes it is to pick up dinner on my not so Wonder Woman days. Effortless Meals at Walmart have helped save our dinner time more than a couple times. Rotisserie Chicken, one of their 2lb sides (potato salad, macaroni salad or coleslaw) and for a special treat a 2 liter of your favorite Coca Cola product are perfect fixings for an easy, effortless meal.
Rotisserie Chicken is a favorite of mine because it can be used so many different ways! Here are some of my favorite ways:
- Chicken Sandwiches and/or Wraps (BBQ Chicken, Chicken Salad,etc.)
- Pot Pie
- Fried Rice
Honestly the ways to use Rotisserie Chicken are endless. It is great way to make a semi homemade meal in next to no time. Like my families new favorite tacos, Carolina Pulled Chicken Tacos with Jalapeño Coleslaw. The inspiration for these tacos came from one of our favorite meals, barbecue. To be more specific Eastern North Carolina Barbecue. Here in NC we take our BBQ very seriously, it is pulled pork and the state is divided into 2 styles. You either like the tomato based Lexington style or tomato free Eastern NC BBQ. Eastern NC style is topped with a vinegar and pepper based BBQ sauce. The pulled pork is served with coleslaw as well as other sides such as hush puppies and potato salad.
The Eastern NC BBQ sauce is great on chicken and helps turn these into must try tacos. Another big plus is that you can pick up everything that you need at Walmart and throw these tacos together in no time at all with the help of a rotisserie chicken and premade coleslaw.
To get this dinner started we start with the Eastern Carolina BBQ sauce. Here in North Carolina the sauce can be found in the grocery store. Living outside of North Carolina I had to learn how to make the BBQ sauce myself. I always have a jar in my fridge, it is a staple in our house. This is best made up at least a day in advance so all the ingredients can get happy and meld well together.
All you do is place all your ingredients in a jar and shake it up. It is easy peasy!
When preparing this dinner I like to start with the jalapeño coleslaw first.
I add the already made coleslaw to a bowl and add the diced red onion, diced jalapeño, and the juice of half a lime.
I know cilantro is something people love or hate so leave it out if you must. We like it so in it goes!
Mix it up, cover, and refrigerate while you prepare the chicken.
Preparing the chicken is completely effortless. All you need is your BBQ sauce and rotisserie chicken.
Remove your chicken from the bone. I remove the skin as well.
Once the chicken is removed from the bone you can either shred it or chop it. Carolina pulled pork is served both ways. I went with chopped today.
All that is left to do is is drizzle and toss with BBQ sauce
Now you are ready to put your tacos together! Grab your favorite tortillas (we prefer corn), warm them up, and begin creating your tacos. Add your chicken and then top with the jalapeño coleslaw and a sprinkle of cheese,cilantro and fresh jalapeños if desired.
There you go easy, effortless Carolina Pulled Chicken Tacos with Jalapeño Coleslaw. If desired round out your tacos with some potato salad and your favorite Coca Cola beverage.
My family absolutely loves this meal. It is one of our favorite meals reinvented!
Really who doesn’t love tacos? Make these for your next Taco Tuesday!
Walmart makes a busy mom’s life a little bit easier when it comes to meal time. No need for fast food when there is a Walmart nearby! Their effortless meals signs in the Deli area or where the rotisserie chickens are conveniently located by the front registers help you quickly find your way to a fresh, healthy meal option for your family so you can get in and out of the store. I think I was in and out in under 15 minutes! You can pick up one of their rotisserie chickens and make a meal out of it, to one of their delicious Marketside pizzas. There is something for everyone, even your pickiest eater! So what are you waiting for? Check out Walmart’s Marketside products for Effortless Meals today!
How do you transform Walmart’s Marketside products for effortless dinners?
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (ex. Texas Pete)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add desired amount)
- 2pounds prepared coleslaw
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- juice of ½ a lime (approx. 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup Eastern Carolina BBQ sauce
- Corn or flour tortillas
- optional- monterey jack cheese, cilantro,fresh jalapeño slices, lime wedges
- For Eastern NC BBQ Sauce-Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce,red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for a day before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.
- For Jalapeno Coleslaw- Mix prepared coleslaw mix. diced red onion, diced jalepeno, juice of half of a lime and cilantro and combine well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For Pulled BBQ Chicken- Remove chicken from the rotisserie chicken. Either shred chicken meat or chop. Drizzle with BBQ sauce and toss.
- To assemble tacos, arrange about 2-3 tablespoons of chicken on a tortilla; follow with 2-3 tablespoons of coleslaw. If desired sprinkle with monterey jack cheese, fresh jalapeño slices, lime juice and/or cilantro
Eastern NC BBQ sauce adapted from Allrecipes.com