Back a few months ago I was asked by Allrecipes to create a kid friendly recipe with Uncle Ben’s Rice. I was honestly stumped. I had no clue what to make at all. We eat rice all the time, it is a huge part of my gluten free life but we keep it simple. The majority of the time we eat it plain with just a bit of butter, other times as mexican rice of fried rice. We really get adventurous. Then the lightbulb went off in my head, I could come up with something for our family fun night and after that Cheesy BBQ Rices Bites were born.
Every Friday night we have a family fun night. We started the tradition well over 5 years ago. We eat pizza and/or snack foods and get a redbox movie. My days of having pizza are pretty much over and I typically have to come up with something gluten free for myself. The majority of the time my kids end up asking for some of whatever I have and since i’m a nice mom I share. I remembered seeing quinoa bites on Pinterest in the past and I knew of the larger and fried Arancini (rice balls) but I had never seen a recipe for any type of smaller bite size rice snack. So I started experimenting and I came up with Cheesy BBQ Rice Bites and my kids keep asking for me to make them!
The cast of characters for this recipe couldn’t be simpler. Rice, BBQ in sauce, black beans, cheese and to help hold it together an egg. Five simple ingredients! Your BBQ can be homemade or premade. If you have leftover pork roast shred it up and add your favorite BBQ sauce. Chicken can be used in place of pork too. For the rice you can use leftover rice or an Uncle Ben’s Rice Pouch. I’m telling you this recipe is quick and easy! After you mix all your ingredients together, scoop into a min muffin pan and bake 20 minutes. Then cool and enjoy. Make them for your family! They will thank you!
Does your family do a family fun night? What kinds of things do you do?
- 1 (8.8 ounce) pouch UNCLE BEN'S® Ready Rice® Original Long Grain
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups prepared pulled pork in barbeque sauce
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray mini muffin tin cups with cooking spray.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Allow to cool slightly. Combine rice, black beans, barbeque pulled pork, cheese, and eggs in a bowl; mix well.
- Drop mixture by heaping tablespoons into prepared mini muffin tins, filling each cup to the top.
- Bake in preheated oven until hot, about 20 minutes.
- Allow bites to cool 10 minutes before popping them out of the muffin tin.
Find my recipe on Allrecipes.com