While chocolate is heavenly there is something I like more than chocolate. Truth be told I never really liked chocolate until after I had my kids. Yes, it is true. Fruit based sweets have always been among my favorites. If we are talking about candy I will take Starburst and gummy candies over chocolate any day. Same with desserts, I just gravitate to the citrusy and berry filled desserts. Sorry chocolate but unless I have a craving I can do without you.
Among my favorites are all things lemon, lemon cookies, lemon bars, lemon meringue pie, lemon bread and lemon cake. If it were only possible to live on lemony sweets and not gain weight, my world would be perfect. Unfortunately though it isn’t possible even with all the running that I do but I am a firm believer in moderation. You can have anything in moderation. That is why this month I was excited to see a beautiful lemon cake on the list of recipes from Allrecipes of things they would like us to make. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to make it and I am so glad I did because it was lemony perfection. It is a easy to make cake that is packed with lemon flavor. My family tried it warm and cold. My preference was cold with a nice cup of black tea..and yes I ate a slice for breakfast.. don’t tell my kids. If you like lemon as much as I do I am sure this cake will be a winner in your house too!
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 3 lemons lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 lemons, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Beat 1¼ cup sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth; beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well before adding the next egg. Stir flour, lemon zest,baking powder and zanthan gum into creamed butter mixture until batter is smooth; pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Combine ½ cup sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Poke holes into the top of the warm cake and pour syrup over cake. Cool slightly before cutting.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com