It’s a new year and so many people out there have made resolutions to get healthy which is awesome! Being healthy isn’t just a diet, it is how you live your life and making changes as needed for a healthier life. I am all about being healthy. Many of my friends know that I eat all sorts of weird foods like, chia seeds. Chia is awesome in my books and it isn’t just for sprinkling on top of your yogurt or smoothies when you have breakfast. How about adding some chia to your morning waffles? Chia is wonderful in waffles and these Healthy Multigrain Chia Waffles are a great way to start your day. Just add some real maple syrup and your favorite berries, no butter needed at all.
- cooking spray
- 1¾ cups milk (cow's milk or almond milk)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ cup flax seed meal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons white sugar, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions; spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Whisk milk, applesauce, egg, chia seeds, and vanilla extract together in a bowl; let sit until chia seeds start to thicken the mixture, about 2 minutes. Whisk flour, oats, flax seed meal, baking powder, sugar, and salt into almond milk mixture until batter is smooth.
- Scoop ½ cup batter into the preheated waffle iron and cook until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes per waffle. Repeat with remaining batter.
adapted from Allrecipes.com