On my 8th day of my Homemade Christmas I am bringing you something extra special, Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcakes with Maple Buttercream. I love pretty much all of the flavors of the Christmas season but there is one that I reserve only for Christmas, gingerbread. Gingerbread is that one smell that says Christmas to me and every year I can’t wait for gingerbread smelling and tasting things. It is part of what I need to get me in the Christmas mood. We love making gingerbread houses and decorating gingerbread cookies. Especially the gingerbread men or ninja’s. Gingerbread is a huge part of my families Christmas tradition.
I have said in the past that going gluten free I knew baking would be a challenge. Baking is science, plain and simple. With gluten free baking you are removing the vital gluten that forms to help give baked goods their structure. It also acts as a binder, it helps with elasticity and helps with moisture retention. I learned quickly I had to figure out something to use to replace it. My weapon of choice is xanthan gum. The xanthan gum behaves the most like gluten. Then with this you have to find the right flour blend. If you make your own this can be tricky and that is a world I have yet to dive into. I choose gluten free flour blends that are becoming more readily available. Just note that not all flour blends are the same and some do have xanthan gum or guar guar. Once you have your key components you are ready to bake and I am learning that gluten free baking is not scary. These gingerbread cupcakes really gave me the confidence I needed in my gluten free baking. I was once the cupcake lady and I can proudly say I am back and better than before because I am gluten free and you would never know it unless I told you.
Try these cupcakes for yourself and see for yourself. Make them for others and see if they can tell the difference. Gluten free baking isn’t hard.The outcomes are delicious!
- Cupcake Ingredients:
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2½ cups gluten free all-purpose flour blend
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Buttercream Ingredients:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (more if needed)
- Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare cupcake pan with liners (18).
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
- Mix in gluten free flour, xantham gum baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger,nutmeg and cloves. Stir in the hot water. Pour batter into the lined, cupcake pan, filling them about ⅔ full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting or serving.
- Buttercream Directions:
- Beat confectioners' sugar, butter, and syrup together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth. Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, to sugar mixture and beat until frosting is thickened and desired consistency. This is a SWEET frosting, a little goes a long way!
Recipes adapted and from Allrecipes.com