The weather is getting cooler and some people have even seen snow, all things that make what I have for my first day of Homemade Christmas perfect. Hot Cocoa Mix is something that is a must have when it gets cold out and especially on snowy days. There is nothing better than coming in from the cold and have a nice, warm mug of Hot Cocoa. Sure you can go to the store and pick up a box but homemade Hot Cocoa Mix is so much better and easy to make. An added bonus is Hot Cocoa Mix makes perfect gifts. You can put it in a jar or for an individual serving size you can use cake decorating bags and make hot cocoa cones. With the jar just layer some of your favorite chocolate and marshmallows on top (Homemade Marshmallows work wonderfully!). Just add some candy canes for stirrers and tie it up with a pretty ribbon and voila you a wonderful homemade gift. That is perfect for family and friends. Being a mom of special needs kiddos who have a ton of teachers and aids this hot cocoa mix has always been perfect for teacher gifts. I know my kid’s teachers have always raved about how good it is.
Try this hot cocoa mix for yourself and see. I am sure you will convert from the store-bought box stuff to homemade. Homemade is always so much better anyways. You will love it and so will your friends and family!
- 10 cups dry milk powder
- 6 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¾ cups powdered non-dairy creamer
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk powder, confectioner's sugar, cocoa powder, and creamer. Stir till thoroughly combined. Run hot cocoa mix through the food processor to make it powdery fine. Store hot cocoa mixture in an airtight container. Makes about 15 cups mix, or enough for about 45 servings.
- For 1 serving, place ⅓ cup cocoa mixture in a coffee cup or mug, and add ¾ cup boiling water. Stir to dissolve. Top with dollop of whipped cream or a few marshmallows, if desired.
- *If desired use different flavor creamers for different flavors of hot cocoa mix*
Adapted from Hot Cocoa Mix from Allrecipes.com