On my second day of Homemade Christmas I have for you chocolate and peppermint treat. Classic flavors of the Christmas season! I have loved peppermint patties for as long as I can remember. When I discovered a recipe to make my own I knew I had to try them. Added bonus is they are less than 5 ingredients and the recipe is super simple. Simply combine the peppermint filling, form into patties and dip into melted chocolate. There is no need for a candy thermometer or any special equipment. The hardest part is melting the chocolate.
These candies are sure to impress and your friends and family will fall in love with them! They will think you spent much more time on them than what you actually did. They are perfect to give as gifts as well at the perfect addition to any holiday cookie and candy platter. Well, that is if they make it out of the kitchen.
- 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar, plus additional for kneading filling
- 1 (16oz) bag of dark chocolate chips
- 1TB shortening
- In large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and peppermint extract. Add 5 cups sugar; beat on low speed until smooth and well blended. Turn mixture onto surface sprinkled with powdered sugar. Knead lightly to form smooth ball. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on wax paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten each ball into a 1½-inch patty.
- Let dry 1 hour or longer; turn over and let dry at least 1 hour. In microwave carefully melt chocolate chips with tablespoon of shortening. With fork, dip each patty into the melted chocolate (draw fork lightly across rim of pan to remove excess coating). Place onto wax paper-lined baking sheets; let stand until firm. Store covered at room temperature or in refrigerator.
Adapted from Peppermint Patties on Allrecipes.com