A long time ago, because hard to believe it has been over 20 years I was in middle school and taking home ec class. I really liked my home ec class for the most part. I didn’t really like sewing. The sewing machine and I battled, a lot. I was constantly breaking needles. I couldn’t wait to be done with that segment of the class. When we were done sewing that meant we were moving onto cooking. We started with salads and my group was in charge of cauliflower then moved onto better things like cookies and cake. My group was dysfunctional. Another girl and I were constantly fighting over how to do things. I lost the battle of chocolate chip cookies to her but our crazy cake was perfect. It’s so perfect that just over 20 years later it is still my go to chocolate cake recipe and since it is my birthday I figured I would share it with you!
Crazy cake is a easy to make delicious chocolate cake. The crazy part comes to the ingredients. This cake does not have any eggs or dairy ingredients in it. Yes, it is a cake made without butter or milk. It is a vegan cake that tastes really good. Being that it is made without eggs and dairy it is great for those with food allergies. Plus this version is gluten free!It is made with a all purpose gluten free flour blend and it turns out beautifully. The history of the cake goes back to the depression when certain ingredients were hard to come by. With a bit of creativity and baking science they created one darn good cake that I hope you fall in love with like I have.
- 1½ cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- 4 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 5 tablespoon Oil (Vegetable, Canola, etc.)
- 1teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 8x8 square pan.
- Please note this cake can be mixed in the baking pan or in a bowl and then transferred to your baking dish. The mixing directions will remain the same. Take your dry ingredients and mix well.
- Create 3 wells in mixed dry ingredients. Add Vanilla Extract to one well, Vinegar to the next and oil in the last well.
- Pour water over top and stir well with a whisk or fork.
- If mixing in a bowl transfer to baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted
- Serve as is, sprinkle with confectioners sugar or frost with your favorite frosting.
for a 13×9 version of this recipe check out Allrecipes.com
**We like to use Allrecipes Chocolate Cookie Buttercream Frosting **
This cake recipe also makes wonderful cupcakes. Try it for yourself!