While i’m not sure what the weather is doing, this time of the year has me wanting to get ready for spring. That includes making all of my favorite spring time foods. What is different this year is I am gluten free but I am learning I can still have many of my favorite foods like my favorite Lemon Blueberry Bread.
Lemon Blueberry Bread is the perfect springtime treat. It is the perfect addition to any Easter table or a perfect after school snack. This bread never lasts very long around my house.
Lemon Blueberry Bread (gluten free)
- 1/3 cup oil (vegetable, canola, etc.)
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of one lemon (approx. 2TB)
- 3TB fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2cup gluten free all purpose flour blend
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1 1/2cup blueberries
- 2TB lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine blueberries and 1/2cup flour and coat berries. This helps prevent your berries from sinking.
- In a large bowl, cream the oil, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and then add 3 TB lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Next add in flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Mix in yogurt
- Finally fold in blueberries being carefully not to break the berries but to mix in remaining flour.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a small bowl mix 2 TB lemon juice and 1/4cup sugar and create a glaze for the lemon bread.For the glaze, combine 1/4 cup sugar with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Drizzle over bread while it is still warm