A few years ago the Army decided that my family needed to live in New Jersey. Living in New Jersey afforded my family the awesome opportunity of going to New York City on a regular basis. New York City was just a train ride away. We loved visiting the city and exploring it!
One of the best parts of visiting New York City is being able to eat iconic New York City foods. One of my favorite foods from New York City and my time in New Jersey is bagels. There is just something different about New York City bagels. Some say it is the water, others say it is because they are boiled instead of steamed. I don’t really know other than they are delicious and in New York City they are abundant and everyone has their own favorite place to get one. A few weeks ago I was asked to recreate an iconic New York City food for RITZ Crackers and I knew exactly what I needed to make. The classic New York City bagel, a Lox and Schmear Bagel but instead of a bagel I used a Ritz Everything Cracker. Yes, a bagel in a bite!
This recipe is simple. You start with 8oz of softened cream cheese. Next you add capers that you have rinsed to get rid of excess brine and then they are chopped.
Next add some diced Sun Dried Tomatoes (not in oil)
a couple cloves of minced fresh garlic
then some finely diced red onion
I had to search a few stores for smoked salmon but you are looking for the thin slices of smoked salmon like the pic below.
All that is left is for you to thinly slice some cucumber and put together your bites of Lox and Schmear and enjoy!
These bagel inspired crackers are perfect for bringing the taste of New York to your game day parties. The Everything crackers had all the flavors of an everything bagel and go perfectly with the lox and schmear. I know I will definitely be making my RITZ “Everything” Bites with Lox and Schmear that have all of the flavor of a Lox and Schmear bagel from New York City in a bite for our big game day.
Bring a taste of New York to your game day parties get the recipe below and try it for yourself!
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 12 sun dried tomatoes (not in oil), diced
- 1TB capers, rinsed and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1t fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Cucumber, sliced thin and cut in half
- Lox or Smoked salmon, cut into bite size pieces (approx. 1.5x1.5 inches)
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, sun dried tomatoes, capers, red onion, garlic and lemon juice. Add fresh ground Sea Salt and Pepper to taste and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (or longer) so flavors can meld.
- To prepare spread ½ TB schmear on Ritz everything cracker and top with cucumber half and smoked salmon.
Looking for more great Recipes with RITZ Crackers? Check out Allrecipes.com’s RITZ collection or check out RITZ Crackers:
I participated in a campaign on behalf of RITZ Crackers. I received a sample to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.