I have a love for the simplicity and wholesomeness of a crisp, apple, cherry, peach… I love them all. What is better than a classic crisp is a double layer crisp. A layer of oatmeal goodness, a layer of fruit and then a another layer of oatmeal goodness. Simple and classic. You can eat it by itself or top it with some vanilla ice cream.
This double layer cherry crisp is also the perfect dessert for you to bring to a potluck specially when you find out at the last minute. It is as awesome as a pie but much easier to make since you don’t have to worry about the pie crust.
Seriously, does this look delicious or what?
So what are you waiting for? Hurry, go make yourself some!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- **note other fruits such as apple and peach turn out well**
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, vanilla (or almond) extract and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle one half of crumb mixture in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish. Cover with cherry pie filling. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over pie filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm.